JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Saturday 1 February 2014

The internet was made for.... Lowering self esteems & a hunting ground for disorders.

I have never had an eating disorder, ny father brought me up reminding me that we should eat to survive and to every once in a while treat myself. Paired with regular exercise, I can't damage myself. 

I was watching supersize vs superskinny, and they mentioned pro ana websites. I honestly laughed at first and thought, maybe these were a hit years ago surrounding the size zero campaign however, my curiousity got the better of me and I googled 'Pro-Ana' and the first 3 hits were pro ana tips, pro ana blog and pro ana tumblr.
 This made me feel awful, i picked the first link and i can only begin to demonstrate my horror now. 

Thinspiration

I read the list, and looked at it in horror. Without having a battle with it myself, I can only spectate at how lonely and sad individuals can feel going through any kind of disorder. But what made me angry, is that barely anything is done about the access to these sites, anyone, any gender, any age around the globe could access this horrendous content, which can cause so much harm. Why isn't more being done?! 

My faith was renewed slightly when i searched pro ana on Tumblr, and was met with this message. 

The Tell me more leads to contact lines for those suffering. well done Tumblr!



After seeing this, I re-read tumblr's terms and conditions, and it has updated them knowing what is occurring within the website, addressing it and other mental disorders as something that should not be ignored!
Sadly, I'm sure most people with disorders will say I am talking about something I have no understanding of and therefore I have no rights to comment. However what I do have is an understanding of self preservation and wanting to help others. So please, even if you do not know me, please please please reach out and talk! We have so many forms of social media these days, don't stay in silence and cut yourself off. If not me... go to the people who can really help and offer you guidance.

It's time for us all to stop suffering in silence and embrace every opportunity we have. Life is too short.




No comments:

Post a Comment